Main content | back to top
SPDC Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme
Since 2010, the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC) has been supporting scholarships for one-year postgraduate degrees for applicants from Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers states. The objective of the scheme is to provide an opportunity for qualifying students from the three states to further their education in courses that are relevant to the oil and gas industry.
Ten scholarships are awarded annually, and these are in partnership with three internationally recognised universities in the United Kingdom: Imperial College London, University College London and the University of Leeds.
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must:
- display intellectual ability and leadership potential
- meet the University’s English language requirements (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS or equivalent TOEFL score valid for Sept 2014 admission)
- be between 21-28 years by end September of the year of admission
- be indigenes of Rivers, Delta or Bayelsa States (proof of this will be required)
- currently reside in Nigeria
- return and take up permanent residence in Nigeria after completion of the proposed programme of study
- have obtained a university degree equivalent to a UK Second Class Upper (Honours Degree) at a minimum
- not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country
- have a valid Nigerian passport valid till December, 2015
- be neither current nor former employees (who have left employment less than 5 years before) of SPDC, the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies or Karamat Ltd
- not be a spouse, child or ward of staff of Shell Companies in Nigeria or Karamat Ltd
The scholarship will cover tuition fees, one return flight ticket from Nigeria to the UK and a contribution towards living expenses only*.
MORE INFORMATION CAN BE OBTAINED AT firstname.lastname@example.org or through the individual universities.
*Please note that the stipends are based on the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) published living rates and are limited to this only.